Our Student Ambassadors scheme aims to promote young people’s rights and the UNCRC in secondary schools.
How it works
Schools are asked to elect two Student Ambassadors at the beginning of every year. Ambassadors have three jobs. These are to:
- Inform other pupils in their school about the Children’s Commissioner for Wales and her work
- Make sure other pupils know about young people’s rights under the UNCRC.
- Do special missions for the Commissioner in their school – these inform the work of our office and have a real impact on our work and on children and young people’s rights in Wales
5 reasons to join
- Information collected through the scheme feeds directly into our work, meaning that our Student Ambassadors have a real impact on children’s rights in Wales.
- The scheme provides an exciting and interactive way for children in your school to learn about their rights, in accordance with the UNCRC, which underpins the Welsh Government’s vision for education.
- The scheme supports the Four Purposes of the developing curriculum in Wales, providing meaningful opportunities for children to develop as healthy, confident individuals and participate as ethical, informed citizens in their school and on a national level.
- The scheme supports schools to develop their approaches to Wellbeing and to Care, Support and Guidance, as required by the Estyn Common Inspection Framework 2017
- It’s free!
How do I get started?
- Let your pupils know you’re a Student Ambassador school and hold an election to select your Ambassadors.
- Your Ambassadors can get started with their jobs straight away by raising awareness of children’s rights and the Children’s Commissioner. The resources on our resources page will help them.
- In October we’ll send you the first of our Rights Missions for the year.
- Celebrate your Student Ambassadors’ work with schools across Wales in our Twitter #RightsHour, every Friday lunchtime (12-1pm). Use the hashtag to share your positive work on children’s rights and we’ll RT your good work to our followers.
If you’d like to register to the Student Ambassador scheme, please complete this form.