Investigation and Advice

The information on this page is available in BSL

Our Investigation and Advice service is free and confidential.

It’s there as a source of help and support if children and young people or those who care for them feel that a child’s been treated unfairly.

The Children’s Commissioner for Wales’ officers can either point you in the right direction to another organisation or in other circumstances we can look at individual complaints.

Get in touch

Tel: 01792 765600
Freephone number: 0808 801 1000

All telephone calls to and from the Investigations and Advice service are recorded for training and monitoring processes and for complaint resolution.


Write: Children’s Commissioner for Wales
Open: Monday to Friday except Bank Holidays from 9am – 5pm

Important information

The laws which set up the Children’s Commissioner for Wales’ office means we can only provide advice to a child or young person:

  • up to the age of 18, or 21 if they have been in care, or up to 25 if they have been in care and are still in education
  • usually living in Wales or who is placed in England by a Welsh local authority
  • who has a complaint or wants to make representation to a service provider (such as a registered child minder) or certain organisations (including any county council or health authority in Wales).

These laws also mean there are things we cannot do. We cannot:

  • become involved with any legal proceedings, including court cases and decisions made by CAFCASS Cymru
  • offer an emergency service
  • offer a counselling service ourselves

We make sure we keep the information you share with us private, unless we think you or another child or young person is unsafe – we then share the information with other organisations that can help protect you. If we need to share the information with other people that could help then we will tell you what we are doing and why we have decided to do it.

Our Investigation and Advice Officers follow the advice given in the All Wales Child Protection Procedures 2008.

Additional Learning Needs

Many people contact our service seeking advice on accessing their children’s rights to education when they have additional learning needs (currently known as Special Educational Needs). As well as  contacting our service you may find it helpful to look at SNAP Cymru’s website, which provides detailed, up-to-date advice about the system of support in Wales.

Learning Lessons

If you are ever unhappy with something we’ve done we want to listen. To make sure we work well as a team we want to listen carefully to any complaints you may have about our work. We will handle your complaint in an open and honest way. There’s a brief guide to our Complaints Policy here.

Rydym yn croesawu derbyn gohebiaeth a galwadau yn Gymraeg. Byddwn yn ateb gohebiaeth a galwadau a dderbynnir yn Gymraeg yn Gymraeg ac ni fydd cysylltu yn Gymraeg yn arwain at oedi .

We welcome receiving correspondence and calls in Welsh. We will respond to correspondence and calls in Welsh, and contacting us in Welsh will not lead to delay.