We’ve published a report outlining the practical steps Welsh Government, local authorities and schools could take to help protect the most vulnerable children and young people from the impact of poverty.
It makes several recommendations to Welsh Government, including:
- Publishing a new Child Poverty Delivery Plan with clear, measurable steps they will take to improve the lives of children living in poverty
- Making more children eligible for free school meals
- Giving more children access to Holiday Hunger schemes
- Making more families eligible for a grant to spend on school costs such as uniform and equipment
- Making sure school uniform policies across Wales are affordable, flexible, and fair
Alongside the report, we’ve made resources to help schools consider the impact of their current policies on families’ finances and make plans for changes together with children in their school.